COACHES CODE OF ETHICS
The following Code of Ethics has been developed in compliance with standards as set forth by the United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) and the National Alliance of Youth Sports (NAYS).
Our Coaches are the “face” of the program to our parents, players, umpires, our schools, and our community at large. Thus, each coach is expected to maintain a high level of integrity and professionalism both on and off the field. A Coach’s primary responsibility is to develop good citizens and players, and to instill a passion for the game in the players. Thus, our coach’s performance is not measured by wins and losses, rather in what he/she teaches the players in terms of technique, sportsmanship, and fair play.
I hereby Pledge to live up to my responsibilities as a USSSA Coach, and by following this Coaches Code of Ethics.
1) Show sportsmanship and respect for the opponent at all times.
2) Show sportsmanship and respect for the game officials at all times.
3) Know, understand and appreciate the rules of the game of softball.
4) Exercise and maintain self-control at all times when participating in all USSSA Events.
5) Place the emotional and physical well-being of participants ahead of the desire to win.
6) Treat all participants as individuals remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for all the age groups.
7) Provide a fun and safe playing environment for all participants.
8) Exhibit proper ethical behavior while interacting with players, coaches, umpires, league officials and parents/guardians at practices and games. Understand that the use of foul or abusive language is strictly prohibited.
9) Know and practice the basic first-aid principles needed to treat injuries.
10) Demonstrate fair play and sportsmanship to all participants, officials and parents.
11) Provide a sports environment for all teams that is free of drugs, tobacco or alcohol within the confines of the playing field and refrain from their use at all USSSA events.
12) Treat each player, opposing coach, umpire, league official, and parent/guardian with the utmost respect and dignity.
13) Remember that we are a youth coach and/or a sports parent and that the game is for the youth players and not the adults.
14) Enjoy the USSSA experience by doing whatever is necessary on being a respectful fan, and especially assisting and supporting all the coaches, umpires and officials involved with USSSA Events.
15) Be reasonable in demands on the players and all participants remembering that the player(s) are not miniature professional players.
16) Importantly, accept victory with humility and defeat with grace. Be neither boastful nor bitter.
With my signature, I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and accept the terms of, and will do my best to fulfill the terms of this document. I understand that not upholding the terms of this code and agreement can result in removal from my coaching position for the entire Event and possible suspension from USSSA for a period of one year.
COACH SIGNATURE NAME & AGE OF TEAM DATE